Monday, May 7, 2012

Overwhelmed

I may have the same post title for the rest of the term. I have most of what I want my math section to look like, but now I'm wondering about how to actually design the page to make it most beneficial and least confusing for students. I won't be using Moodle because it takes too long for our students to get into the system, so I'm going to be putting it all in either a blog or a wiki. I am hoping to find some example blogs of classes so I can see how they're organized. My class will still be taught in a traditional classroom, but I would like it to be user friendly enough that it could stand on its own. I'm also looking into whether or not to put my files in Google Documents, or Dropbox.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm very interested in hearing your progress (though I totally get the headline, too!). I've been considering a blog-based syllabus for one of my classes, too, but I can't quite get it to look/work like I want it to yet.

    I can't say enough good things about Dropbox, but that's on a personal basis -- I've never used it much for classes. Sandy Jensen would be a great resource for figuring out the blog/Google Docs part, if that's the direction you head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know what you're saying about feeling overwhelmed. however many times we've taught a course, moving to online or OER feels just like starting from scratch.

    i agree that there are problems with Moodle, and some say that the era of the 20th century LMS is fast disappearing. but i also am struggling with issues around student privacy, so Moodle is where i'm still living, even if i do visit off-site in various ways like blogs.

    i think that kevin steeves' personal learning environment page in wordpress is a good model for how to organize a blog-based course site. you should take a look at it. i am thinking of using it as a model--i've seen others do so online.

    ReplyDelete